Thursday, September 3, 2015

Welcome Letter 2015

August 24, 2015

Dear Students,

Welcome to Breck’s fourth grade!  It’s been a great summer, and I’m very excited to have you in my class and to get started next week. 

In language arts this year you’ll be reading many good books.  Please be ready on the first day of school to tell us about a book you read over the summer and would recommend to your classmates.  You’ll also be doing all kinds of writing- creative stories, essays, and reports are just a few of the formats you’ll be using this year.  Our focus in mathematics will be on multiplication, division, and fractions.  Social studies and science should be fun, as we learn about the geography of the United States, simple machines, and electricity.  I’m sure you’re excited about getting your own laptop!

You should have received the fourth grade supply list.  Supplies you’ll need include some pencils, markers, colored pencils, scissors, a box of tissues, and a small pencil sharpener.  Please also bring a clipboard, so you can do schoolwork when you’re away from your desk. 

I can’t believe how fast the time has gone, but this will be my thirtieth year teaching fourth grade at Breck School!  I’m a Minnesota Twins fan and love to watch games at Target Field. I took a class this summer on the latest ideas about teaching mathematics. I also enjoyed working on sewing projects and reading good books.  I have two cats, Gus and Bert.  Just like my students, I’m always happy and excited to start a new school year.  

Enjoy your last week of vacation, and I’ll see you next Monday in Room 12!